Friday, November 5, 2010

Helena Handbasket

So awhile ago I decided I wanted to try the epic character helena in some facet. This week I finally broke down and spent the 18k she costs and lvled her up. This is what I came up with:

Characters:
Helena
Pilkim
Eglantyne & Moira

Cards:
3 Assassinations
3 Than the Sword
3 Rain of Death
3 Living Dagger
1 Hungry Void
1 Storm
1 Time to Die
1 Last Word
1 Tadaa! Your a Bunny
1 Lightning Bolt 3
1 Unleash Hell
1 Journey

Since I was building the deck around Helena it seemed silly to go with anything but mages since she gets a +1 attack per mage in the group. I didn't want to go with 2 pure mages since that would limit the number of maurader cards I could run and in turn limit Helena's usefulness. I decided on the hybrid witchblade sisters since they tie both marauder and mage cards together. I chose Pilkim cause I believe he's the best stand alone mage with his turn orders and draconic spell ability. I wanted a balance between mage and maurader only cards, figuring to go with 7-8 of each and then filling in the remaining slots with trophy and non-specific cards. I ended up with 10 mage cards which is more than I wanted but when I deck tested it it worked well.

I threw in three aoe cards cause I'm a big believer in them. I think I put storm in every deck I make lol. Something to be said about taking out characters that aren't opposing you. Unleash Hell is kinda weak but you get the most out of it when using the sisters since they still get to attack. I almost always choose living daggers over devouring. I just can't get over how good they are for survivability. I think the rest of the deck is pretty self explanatory.

So now for some numbers fun. Helena's base attack is 4/12. Her high attack is 2nd only to abom. She immediately gets +2 attack since there are 2 mages in the group. If you win initiative, she gets another plus +2 since her order gives her +1 or +2 if her opponent is at full health. So now turn 1 she's sitting on 8/16 attack. Her last bonus comes if her opponent is a marauder. So potentially she's at 9/17 before playing any cards, not too shabby.

While the deck definitely isn't tier 1, it's a lot of fun to play and can hold it's own. Happy hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment